The Lincoln County Courthouse located in Hamlin, WV, burned in 1909. Most county records since 1867 were destroyed by fire. The following story provides some useful information on the reconstructed courthouse.
New Court House for Lincoln
After a year and a half of waiting Lincoln county is now assured of a new court house, which will be erected on the old site, which will be a credit to the county, and a lasting monument to those who were instruments in securing the erection.
The burning of the old court house marks the greatest epoch in the history of Lincoln county, and nothing but the undaunted courage of a people born and reared among the hills of Lincoln county, prevented a period of utter chaos.
A splendid temporary organization was effected, temporary quarters secured as a court house, and official quarters, until, but for the destruction of some records which can never be replaced, the average citizen hardly realizes that on the 19th day of November, 1909, Lincoln county suffered a loss, which ordinarily, would have retarded the growth and development of the county for a decade.
The contract is awarded to the Falls City Construction Company, of Louisville, Ky., one of the largest building concerns in the United States, at a cost of $71,000.00 and was secured by them by competitive bids, the next closest bid being $73,750.00.
Work will be started on the new building within the next 30 days, and by January 1, 1912, the County will have its new home completed.
Source: Logan (WV) Democrat, 11 May 1911