Anna Adams, Appalachia, Bernie Adams, Carl Adams, Charlie Mullins, Clinton Adams, coal, Edgar McCloud, Frank Bradshaw, genealogy, George McCloud Jr., Harts Creek, history, Hoover School, Howard Adams, Logan Banner, Logan County, Lucy McCloud, Margaret Wiley, Mary Honaker, May Robinson, Mildred Adams, Mt. Gay, Mud Fork, Pearly McCloud, Peter Mullins, Queens Ridge, Roy Browning, Sol Adams, Trace Fork, West Virginia, Whirlwind
An unknown correspondent from Whirlwind in Logan County, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on August 24, 1926:
We are having plenty of rain at this writing.
Howard Adams is going to teach our school on Hoover. We are expecting a good school.
Miss Lucy McCloud visited her grandmother, Mrs. Margaret Wiley of Queen’s Ridge, last Tuesday.
Mrs. Anna Adams of Trace Fork is very ill at present.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Browning of Mud Fork are visiting Mrs. Browning’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Mullins of Hart’s Creek.
Miss Pearly McCloud made a flying trip to Sol Adams’ Wednesday.
Charlie Mullins and Edgar McCloud have completed their coal tipple.
Carl Adams and Geo. McCloud Jr., are coal mining on the left hand Fork of Hoover.
Miss Mildred Adams has returned from Mt. Gay where she has been visiting her sister, Mrs. Frank Bradshaw.
Mrs. Mary Honaker was the guest of Miss May Robinson last Sunday.
Clinton Adams was taking his vacation last week.
Wonder what makes Bernie Adams look so downhearted? Ask Tilda. She knows.
Howard Adams was seen coming up the creek with a broom. Wonder what’s going to happen?
Daily happenings: Edgar and his new slippers; Carl and his white hogs; Herb and his lantern; Pearl and her blue dress; Howard and his talking machine; Charlie and his kodak; Bernie and his cob pipe.
From the Logan Democrat of Logan, WV, comes this item about coal history dated February 15, 1917:
The Guyan Valley Operators Decide To Grant Ten Per Cent Wage Increase
Decision Reached By Men Who Control Mines Without Solicitation of Those in Their Employ–Have Treated Workmen Generously in Other Respects
The Guyan Valley operators have agreed to put in effect on March first a general advance of ten per cent in wages. This is the second advance they have given within twelve months, and both were of their own accord and without waiting for their employees to ask them.
These advances have been made because of the high cost of living, and without regard to the price of coal, for while a few of the operations in this valley have profited by the high price at which they have been able to sell their product, most of the coal mined in the field has been and is being delivered on contracts entered into at prices far below those prevailing at the present time. In fact some of the operations are engaged in filling contracts at prices considerably below the present cost of production. Some of the contracts will expire during the next month or two, but other well into midsummer. The average price received for Guyan Valley coal during the year 1916 was little if any more than ten per cent over the prices of the preceding year, when coal sold at figures a good deal less than had been known for a long period of years.
The two advances do not, however, embrace all that the Guyan operators have done for their people during the past few months. They have made a point of giving their men extra work to do, to enable them to make more money during the period of extreme car shortage. Most of the operators have also issued instructions to their store men to sell goods on a very close margin in order to help the men out during the prevalence of high prices for the necessaries of life.
These things are consonance with the general broad and liberal spirit that has characterized the actions of the men engaged in the coal business in this valley, and that has been instrumental in bringing it so rapidly to its present position of importance among the coal fields of West Virginia.
Alex W. Quarrier, Andrew Donnally, Benjamin F. Morris, C&O Railroad, Cabell County, Charles Droddy, Charles Page, Charleston, Clendenin, coal, Coal River, Coalsmouth, Daniel Boone, David Ruffner, Davis Creek, Donnally's Fort, Ebenezer Oakes, Elk River, Fleming Cobb, Fort Tackett, genealogy, Giles County, Greenbrier County, Henry Ruffner, Herbert P. Gaines, history, John P. Huddleston, John Young, Josiah Hughes, Kanawha County, Kanawha Court House, Kanawha Salines, Kanawha Valley, L.H. Oakes, Leonard Morris, Logan Banner, Logan County, Malden, Marmet, Mason Campbell, Mercer Academy, Michael Newhouse, Native Americans, Owen Jarrett, Point Pleasant, Roy J. Morris, salt, South Charleston, St. Albans, Tazewell County, The Western Virginian, Walton, West Virginia, William Cobb
From the Logan Banner of Logan, WV, in a story titled “Conditions Century Ago: Charleston Educator Tells of Settlement of Kanawha County Which Embraced Part of What Is Now Logan–With 550 Population Charleston Was Metropolis of Kanawha Valley,” comes this bit of history for the city of Charleston dated October 14, 1927:
Josiah Hughes, principal of the South Charleston graded schools, has written a sketch of Kanawha county, telling of the activities of a century and more ago. It is of interest here, because Logan county was created in 1824 from parts of Kanawha, Cabell, Giles and Tazewell, and because some of the pioneers he names have descendants in Logan. Kanawha county was formed Oct. 5, 1789. His article in part follows.
Charleston was the largest town in the valley, and had a population of approximately 550. It had its stores, its schools, its court house, its jail, its pillory, and its whipping post.
The postoffice at Charleston was “Kanawha C.H.” established under that name in 1801, and was so called until late in 1879. Among those who received their mail here one century ago were the following: Leonard Morris (an ancestor of Roy J. Morris, who is in the local C. & O. ticket office), probably the earliest of the pioneers of the valley; Fleming Cobb, the noted Indian scout, who lies buried near the mouth of Davis Creek; John P. Huddleston, who hunted and trapped with Daniel Boone; Alex W. Quarrier, who was many years clerk of the courts of Kanawha county; Herbert P. Gaines, founder of the first newspaper in Charleston; John Young, whose father saved him and his mother from death by Indians when Fort Tackett at the mouth of Coal River was destroyed about 1789; Dr. William Cobb, the first physician in this valley and the ancestor of the Cobb family near Clendenin; Michael Newhouse, a noted pioneer of Elk river; Ebenezer Oakes, a near ancestor of our townsman, L.H. Oakes; Charles Droddy, the first settler at Walton; Owen Jarrett, noted ancestor of the Jarrett family in Kanawha county; Col. David Ruffner, the noted business man whose enterprise made possible the establishment of Mercer Academy in Charleston one hundred and ten years ago; Benjamin Morris, a noted pioneer and near ancestor of Benjamin F. Morris of Marmet; Col. Andrew Donnally, whose father built Donnally’s Fort in Greenbrier county.
During the years 1825-1829. “The Western Virginian,” as it was called, was the only newspaper published in Charleston. Mason Campbell was editor.
50 Salt Furnaces
The first great industry in the Great Kanawha Valley was the manufacturing of salt. One hundred years ago more than fifty salt furnaces were in active operation. A few years later the annual production of salt reached upwards of 3,000,000 bushels.
Kanawha Salines, now Malden, was the center of the great industrial area. The salt companies had greater stores than could be found in Charleston and many of the citizens of Charleston went to Kanawha Salines to do their trading.
One hundred years ago only a few coal mines had been opened up. Wood was the principal fuel used at the salt furnaces. Prior to 1830 but little coal was used by the salt makers. The coal industry in this valley was of comparatively small value until the opening of the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad in 1873.
By 1827 three steamboats had succeeded in reaching Charleston. In 1830 the first towboat on the Kanawha reached Charleston.
Before the close of the first quarter of the nineteenth century missionaries of various churches had visited the valley and preached in the homes of the pioneers. The Protestant Episcopal church established parishes in Kanawha valley about 1821. The Rev. Charles Page was the preacher for the churches at Point Pleasant, Charleston and Coalsmouth (St. Albans). But the Presbyterian church was probably the pioneer in the valley, although small congregations of communicants of the Baptist and Methodist churches may have worshiped in the homes of some of the pioneers. Dr. Henry Ruffner organized the first Presbyterian church in Kanawha county in 1818. The church was organized in Charleston.
From the Logan Banner of Logan, WV, in a story titled “Origin of Coal,” comes this bit of coal history dated May 24, 1927:
ORIGIN OF COAL
It is a self evident fact that coal is of vegetable origin, and the evidence of which can be briefly stated, based on present scientific study of this subject:
1. Vegetable remains long extinct are found plentiful in close proximity with coal seams; stumps, roots, leaves and stems are found int eh slate overlying the seam and under clay, and are found even imbedded in the seams themselves.
2. This vegetation is associated with the coal seam and often becomes coal whiles till retaining its original form and structure.
3. This vegetation is found and recognized in the whole coal seam, even the coal ashes carefully examined under a powerful microscope show vegetable cells.
4. The perfect gradation may be traced from wood through the different kind of coal, and by chemical analysis.
5. Peats may be manufactured into a substance having many of the qualities of coal, and we may say further that all carbon and hydro carbon have organic matter.
The Flora or plant life of the coal measures are of the most abundant and perfect of all the extinct plants. It has been estimated that there are about 2000 known species of plant fossils in the coal measures. This Flora is really interesting to the geologist in that it furnishes a key to the evolution of the land plants. These plants are found preserved in some form in the coal seams in the overlying slate and rocks and underlying clays and slates.
From address by Charles E. Krebs, at convention of Mine Inspectors Institute of America, in session at Charleston last week.
Appalachia, Boston, Cincinnati, coal, F.W. Batcheler, history, Holden, Huntington, Island Creek, Island Creek Coal Company, James D. Francis, Kentucky, Logan, Logan Banner, New York, Norfolk and Western Railroad, Ohio, Pine Creek, Pond Creek, R.S. McVey, Thomas B. Davis, West Virginia
From the Logan Banner of Logan, WV, comes this story titled “Boston Coal Men Pleased with Island Creek Development–New Town of Pine Creek Planned For,” published on October 25, 1927:
BOSTON COAL MEN PLEASED WITH ISLAND CREEK DEVELOPMENT–NEW TOWN OF PINE CREEK PLANNED FOR
Wish that more of the men at Boston, who talk about “mining camps” could come to West Virginia and see the flourishing cities and towns which dot the coal fields and ride over the hard roads which connect them was expressed Friday by F.W. Batcheler of Boston, treasurer of the Island Creek Coal Company. Mr. Batcheler, for 25 years in his present capacity, had just arrived in Huntington after his first visit to his company’s properties in Logan county and on Pond Creek in Kentucky. He said frankly that the experience had been a revelation to him, familiar as he already was in theory with the activities of his and other companies in these fields, reports the Herald-Dispatch.
Thomas B. Davis of New York, the Island Creek president, who has observed personally the development of the coal fields, was no less enthusiastic than Mr. Batcheler in his comment off the changes which have been wrought since his first visit to Island Creek.
“At first,” he said, “we had to go up the Norfolk & Western, using an accommodation train, and go across the mountains on horseback. Now we can inspect both Pond Creek and Island Creek properties in less time than it took them to get into the field.”
His enthusiasm and that of his fellow travelers was heightened by the fact that the party came to Huntington from Holden, by automobile, in two hours and twenty minutes.
With the president and Mr. Batcheler were R.S. McVey of Cincinnati, vice president in charge of sales, and James D. Francis of Huntington, vice president. Other members of the sales force took part in the inspection visit to the fields.
President Davis spoke in an optimistic strain of business conditions, which he feels are going to continue good despite a “let down” tendency now manifest.
“We can’t go at top speed all the time,” was his comment.
One of the chief points of interest to the inspection party while in Logan was operation No. 22, a new shaft mine which is being opened by the Island Creek company at an outlay of several million dollars.
15-Foot Seam at No. 22
“The shafts are down,” Mr. Davis said, “and we have found a 15-foot seam of coal as good as any found anywhere. The hoists are being raised and the first houses are being built.”
The preliminary housing in the new town of Pine Creek will include about forty buildings. The complete program, the officials explain, includes 600 houses to care for a population of 3,500. To reach this operation a railroad extension was built and a hard road, running for much of the seven-mile distance, was built by the company to connect Pine Creek with Holden.