Adam Lambert, Andrew D. Robinson, Appalachia, B.C. Curry, Big Ugly Creek, Boone County, Burbus Toney, Charles Spurlock, constable, Edley Elkins, education, Fourteen Mile Creek, genealogy, Guyandotte River, Harts Creek, Harts Creek District, Henry H. Hardesty, Hezekiah Adkins, history, Isaac Elkins, James White, Jefferson District, Jeremiah Lambert, Jesse Gartin, John Fry, John H. Brumfield, John Lucas, justice of the peace, Kiahs Creek, Laurel Hill District, Lewis Queen, Lincoln County, Little Harts Creek, Little Ugly Creek, Logan County, Methodist, miller, Rhoda Elkins, Richard Adkins, Richard Elkins, Sarah Elkins, Squire Toney, timber, timbering, Wayne County, West Virginia, William Lucas, William West
From “Hardesty’s History of Lincoln County, West Virginia,” published by H.H. Hardesty, we find this entry for Harts Creek District in Lincoln County, West Virginia:
This is the most southern subdivision of the county. It derives its name from Harts creek, a tributary of the Guyandotte river. On the north is Laurel Hill district, on the northeast is Jefferson, east Boone county, on the south Logan, and on the west Wayne. Guyandotte river flows northwest and divides the district into two nearly equal parts. There are several small streams, among which are Little and Big Harts creeks, Little and Big Ugly creeks, Kiahs creek, and Fourteen Mile creek.
The first settler was Richard Elkins, who reared his cabin in the month of September, 1807. Here he removed his family, and here Charles Spurlock became his first neighbor. Other early settlers were: Esquire Toney, John Lucas, Edley Elkins, John Fry, Hezekiah Adkins, John Brumfield, and Richard Adkins. Rhoda, a daughter of Edley and Sarah Elkins, was the first white child born in the district. The first grist mill was built by James White about the year 1821. It was a small tub-wheel mill, water being the propelling power. Isaac Elkins built the first saw mill in 1847 or 1848. It was constructed on the old sash-saw plan, and had a capacity for cutting from 800 to 1,000 feet per day.
The first school was taught in a log cabin one mile above the mouth of Big Harts creek about the year 1832, but who the teacher was cannot now be ascertained. The date, however, is remembered by an old resident, because it was the year in which he first visited this section. The first house for educational purposes was built near the mouth of Big Harts creek in 1834. It was a five-cornered building, one side being occupied by the ever-present huge fire place. There are now ten public school houses in the district, “some of which,” says an informant, “are in bad condition, but will soon be replaced by frames;” 334 boys and girls attend school in this district.
The first sermon was preached here in the year 1823 by a Methodist minister named William West, and here the same year he gathered a little church, one of the first ever formed in the valley of the Guyandotte river; but of its history or who composed its membership, nothing is known. When the writer asked of an old settler the question: “Who were the first members?” his reply was: “The register is gone, and no one living can tell.” When asked who organized the first Sabbath school, he replied: “There never was one in the district.”
The first township officers were as follows: Supervisor, Burbus Toney; justice of the peace, Jeremiah Lambert; constable, Jesse Gartin; clerk, Andrew Robinson; treasurer, B.C. Curry; school commissioners, Adam Lambert, William Lucas, and Lewis Queen. According to the census of 1880, the population was 1,116.
Source: The West Virginia Encyclopedia, Vol. 7 (Richwood, WV: Jim Comstock, 1974), p. 106-107.
NOTE: I descend from Richard Elkins, John Fry, John H. Brumfield, and Jeremiah Lambert.
Appalachia, Arthur Evans, Bradyville, Branchland, C.C. McCoy, C.L. Wilson, Ena McCoy, genealogy, Hardin Marcum, Harold Ray Smith, Harts, Herman McCoy, history, Hubball, Jennings Smith, Jim Fulks, Lincoln County, Logan, Logan Banner, Luther Midkiff, Midkiff, Ollie Saunders, Oma Estep, Ora Clay, poetry, Ranger, Ray Fulks, Troy Adkins, West Logan, West Virginia, Williamson
An unknown local correspondent from Ranger in Lincoln County, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on May 21, 1926:
Luther Midkiff and family of Branchland were seen out car riding Sunday.
Mr. and Mrs. C.L. Wilson and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Evans and families of Hubball were the Sunday guests of Mr. and Mrs. C.C. McCoy.
Hardin Marcum was seen out car riding Sunday. We think he was on his way to Bradyville.
Jennings Smith was seen walking the lonesome road Sunday evening. We wonder where Maggie was?
Mrs. Jim Fulks left Friday evening for Williamson where she will spend a few days with relatives.
Rev. C.C. McCoy and little son Herman attended preaching at Camp Branch Sunday.
Ora Clay was seen out car riding Sunday. We wonder where the widow was?
Sunday is our regular church meeting at this place. Everybody come.
Troy Adkins and family of Midkiff were seen in our little town Sunday evening.
We wonder when Ray Fulks will accept his position back as driving taxi from Logan to Williamson?
Mr. and Mrs. Ollie Saunders of West Logan were visiting relatives here one day last week.
Wonder what has become of Harts?
Miss Oma Estep of Hubball is visiting her sister here this week.
Pearl Hargis, who received a serious burn by starting a fire in the cooking stove with kerosene, is reported much worse, we are sorry to say.
Miss Ena McCoy who has been ill for some time is much better we are glad to say.
Ora Clay was visiting home folks at Hubball Sunday.
He met her in the meadow
When the sun was low.
They strolled along together
In the twilight after glow.
She patiently waited until
He lowered all the bars.
And her soft bright eyes
Beamed upon him as
Radiant as the stars.
Yet she neither smiled nor thanked him
For she knew not how
For he was only a farmer
And she was a jersey cow.
NOTE: I dedicate this entry to my late friend, Harold Ray Smith of Ranger.