Admiral S. Fry, Burbus Toney, C. Brumfield, Erastus Kelly Steele, Ferrellsburg, Fry, George W. Ferrell, Green Shoal, Green Shoal Post Office, Guyandotte River, Harts Creek District, James H. McComas, Lincoln County, Logan County, postmaster, Route 10, Toney, Virginia, West Virginia
Green Shoal Creek is a tributary of the Guyandotte River located in Harts Creek District of Lincoln County, West Virginia. Prior to 1863, the stream was located in Virginia, and prior to 1869, it was located in Logan County. Today, it is situated on Route 10 between the communities of Ferrellsburg and Toney. Prior to the Civil War, Green Shoal was a sort of community hub for the Harts Creek area. Green Shoal had the first post office located in the Harts area.
Green Shoal Post Office was established on January 4, 1855. It was discontinued on July 9, 1866. Burbus C. Toney, son of Squire and Nancy (Brown) Toney, was postmaster from 1855 to 1866.
Green Shoal Post Office was re-established on November 25, 1873. Admiral S. Fry, a Confederate veteran and merchant, served as postmaster until November 1, 1878. Kale Steele served as postmaster until November 17, 1879. The post office was discontinued on November 17, 1879.
Greenshoal Post Office was established on December 20, 1899. James H. McComas served as postmaster until April 5, 1901. According to one period newspaper account, C. Brumfield replaced McComas on April 2, 1901. Official records cite McComas as postmaster until December 22, 1902. George W. Ferrell, adopted son of local merchants, served as postmaster from December 22, 1902 until December 27, 1904. At this latter date, the post office was discontinued to Ferrellsburg.
In the twentieth century, the Green Shoal area was called “Fry.”