Appalachia, Aracoma, Bluestone Valley, Boling Baker, Deskins Addition, Guyandotte River, Hatfield Island, Henry Mitchell, history, Island Creek, John Breckinridge, John Dempsey, John Dingess, Joseph Workman, Logan, Logan Banner, Logan County, Montgomery County, Nancy McNeely, Native American History, Native Americans, Nimrod Workman, Peter Dingess, Shawnee, Tazewell County, Virginia, West Virginia, William Dingess, Wythe County
From an early edition of the Logan Banner comes this bit of history about Logan’s earliest Anglo settlers:
“First White Settler To Make His Home In Logan Lived on Hatfield Island”
The first white settler to make his home near Logan was James Workman who was with the force of men who struck the blow that broke the power of the Shawnee in the valley of the Guyandotte.
He was a member of the group of white settlers who pursued Boling Baker from a settlement in the Bluestone valley to the island that is now known as “Hatfield Island” and there burned an Indian village and mortally wounded Princess Aracoma. Boling Baker escaped.
After Workman had a glimpse of the beautiful lush valley of the Guyandotte, it took little persuasion by John Breckinridge, who had been granted much of the valley after the battle of the Islands to get Workman and his two brothers Joseph and Nimrod to make settlement there, Breckinridge was forced to settle the land by the law of 1792 in order to hold title to it.
Workman and his two brothers came to the island in 1794 and built a cabin and planted a few acres of corn. In 1795 and 1796 the brothers planted the same land and James, who was a man of family, brought his wife and children from their old home in Wythe (now Tazewell) county, Virginia, where they continued to live until about the year 1800 when they moved to a farm nearby which was later owned by Henry Mitchell.
The first recorded permanent settlement was made by William Dingess, son of Peter Dingess, a German. Dingess was the oldest in a family of eleven children.
He was born in Montgomery county in 1770 and married Nancy McNeely. He purchased a survey of 300 acres, which covers the present site of the courthouse and a portion of the land across the river which is now Deskins addition.
Dingess moved to his survey in 1799 and made his home. John Dempsey came with him and built a cabin on the island, but afterwards moved to Island Creek.
William Dingess was said to be almost a giant in strength, but so peaceable that no one could induce him to fight. He was a relentless Indian fighter in the Guyan Valley, however. A story is told that he was with a force of whites who pursued a band of Indian marauders as far as the falls of the Guyan where they killed several braves.
Dingess cut a portion of the skin from a forearm of one of the braves and tanned it using it for a razor strop until his death.
The first settler had no children by his first wife. In 1800, Peter Dingess and John Dingess joined him and built their homes in the fertile land on each side of the river near the islands. Other settlers followed in time and the little settlement grew to a thriving frontier town.
Source: Logan (WV) Banner, 1 April 1937.
Appalachia, Belle Adkins, Bill Brumfield, Bill Miller, Bill Thompson, Billie Brumfield, Billie Thompson, Bob Dingess, Bruce McCann, Cale Nelson, Cecil Mitchell, Charles Curry, Ed Brumfield, Emmet Dingess, Emsy Mitchell, Enoch Adkins, Enoch Curry, Fisher Thompson, genealogy, Georgia Curry, Harriet Curry, Harriet Lilly, Harts Creek, history, Hollena Ferguson, Jim Adkins, Lilly Curry, Lincoln County, Logan Banner, Lucian Kirk, Minerva Curry, Minerva Tomblin, Nessell Curry, Queens Ridge, Roxie Tomblin, Sook Adkins, Wesley Ferguson, West Virginia
An unknown correspondent from Queens Ridge in Lincoln County, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on December 26, 1924:
Here we come to our dear Old Banner.
Miss Harriet Curry and Miss Rolie Tomblin were seen out horseback riding Sunday.
A baby boy was born to Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dingess Saturday night. The new arrival has been christened Emmet T. Dingess.
Bill Thompson and Nervie Tomblin were the guests of Chas. Curry Sunday.
Mr. Emsy Mitchell was visiting Mr. Thompson Sunday.
Mr. Bruce McCann was calling on Lilly Curry Sunday.
Enoch Curry and Cecil Mitchell were seen out riding Monday.
Nessell and Georgia Curry were the guests of Mrs. Enoch Adkins Tuesday.
Mr. Bill Miller and Jim Adkins were seen out car riding Sunday on Big Harts Creek.
Mr. Cale Nelson was calling on Miss Sook Adkins Sunday.
Mrs. Belle Adkins was the guest of Mrs. Wesley Ferguson last Saturday.
Wonder why Lucian Kirk looked so lonesome Sunday. Cheer up, Lucian.
Mr. Edward Brumfield was the guest of Mr. Bill Brumfield Saturday.
Harriet Lilly, Nervie Curry, Billy Brumfield, Fisher and Billie Thompson were seen out riding Saturday.
Miss Roxie Tomblin was the guest of Mr. Emsy Mitchell Sunday.
Appalachia, Belle Adkins, Ben Adkins, Bob Brumfield, Charley Brumfield, Dixie Adkins, Enoch Adkins, Floyd Dingess, Fred Adkins, genealogy, George H. Adkins, George McComas, George Ward, Harriet Curry, Harts, Harts Creek, Hendricks Brumfield, Herb Adkins, Herbert Adkins, history, Hollena Ferguson, Homer Tomblin, Irv Tomblin, John Dalton, John Hite, Laura Adkins, Lilly Curry, Lincoln County, Lizzie Tomblin, Logan Banner, Minerva Brumfield, Minerva Tomblin, Sallie Adkins, teacher, Ward Brumfield, Wesley Ferguson, West Virginia
An unknown correspondent from Harts Creek in Lincoln County, West Virginia, offered the following items, which the Logan Banner printed on December 12, 1924:
Mrs. Hollena Ferguson has sold her sheep and is going to buy her a fine Buick car and she has employed Mr. Wesley Ferguson for her chauffeur.
Herbert Adkins has purchased his bride a fine car and bought her a fine automobile coat to go riding in.
Mrs. Nerve Brumfield was over at Harts shopping last week.
Mrs. John Hite is Hollena Ferguson’s milk maid at present.
Born, to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Adkins, two fine twin boys Monday, December 1st. The father is very proud of his boys.
Herbert Adkins has hired Robert Robinson to do his janitor service.
Charley Brumfield paid George H. Adkins a visit last week.
Misses Sallie and Dixie Adkins are the champion spellers of Harts Creek.
Ward Brumfield and John Hite paid Robert Brumfield a visit last Sunday.
Floyd Dingess and Homer Tomblin were visiting Lilly and Harriet Curry last week.
John Dalton and Miss Nervie Tomblin were out horseback riding last Sunday.
Mr. Irv Tomblin is entertaining G.W. Ward this week.
Mrs. Lizzie Tomblin has sold her geese to Benjamin Adkins and is going into the poultry business.
Enoch Adkins was seen in Harts Monday with his mule team.
Mrs. Belle Adkins has got in a fine lot of Christmas toys.
Mrs. Laura Adkins and her two daughters paid Mrs. Belle Adkins a visit last Sunday.
George McComas has employed Hendrix Brumfield to run his school.
Appalachia, Blackberry Creek, Bud McCoy, Cap Hatfield, Devil Anse Hatfield, Doc Mayhorn, feuds, G.W. Pinson, genealogy, Hatfield-McCoy Feud, history, James M. McCoy, Kentucky, Logan County, Pharmer McCoy, Pike County, Preacher Anse Hatfield, Randolph McCoy Jr., Tolbert McCoy, Valentine Wall Hatfield, West Virginia
The killing of Tolbert, Pharmer, and Bud McCoy by a Hatfield-led gang on August 8, 1882 represented one of the most sensational events of the Hatfield-McCoy Feud. What follows is James M. McCoy’s deposition regarding the affair:
COMMONWEALTH VS DOC MAYHORN &C
Bill of Exceptions
FILED Sept. 1889
G.W. Pinson, Clk
The Commonwealth then introduced as a witness James M. McCoy an uncle to the boys killed say the boys in the corn sled on Blackberry Creek. They were not tied do not know who all was ____ did not see the Mayhorn Boys there, they come shortly afterwards with Ance Hatfield and his crowd. Defendants was armed with Rifle guns. The next time saw defts was when line was formed at Rev. Anderson Hatfields. Defts. fell into line saw them cross the river with the McCoy boys. The Mayhons was along and was armed. Never saw the McCoy boys alive anymore. Saw them after they were killed. There is a road running down the river from where the boys were killed it is about 100 yards from where the boys was killed to the road. I then lived just below the mouth of Peter. A great many people was on Blackberry on Tuesday. Most all the neighborhood both in Ky and West Va was there. They came with Ance Cap & Jonce Hatfield Carpenter Messer & others. first saw Defts at the sled at the old house. The dets. went into the line that was formed at Rev. Anderson Hatfields. The three McCoy boys crowd in a skiff with Wall Carpenter Johnce Ance & Murphy.
Appalachia, Big Sandy River, C&O Railroad, coal, Consolidation Coal Company, Cumberland Mountains, Devil John Wright, Devil Judd Tolliver, Hazard Herald, history, James A Garfield, Jenkins, John Fox Jr., John W. Wright, Kentucky, Kentucky River, Letcher County, Little Elkhorn Creek, Little Shepherd Amphitheatre, Logan Banner, Nick Dann, photos, Pound Gap, Rocky Branch, Shelby, The Trail of the Lonesome Pine, Virginia, West Virginia
Here is a bit of history for Jenkins, Kentucky, based on a newspaper account provided in 1928:
Nestling in the valley of the Little Elkhorn, within “a stone’s throw” of the famous Pound Gap, is Jenkins, one of the few great mining towns of the world. The term “mining camp” cannot rightly be used when speaking of Jenkins, because it is not a “camp” in any sense of the word, but rather a city built by the great Consolidation Coal Company for the accommodation of its thousands of employees.
Never was a city planned more carefully, says the Hazard (Ky.) Herald. The men in charge of the construction work were chosen from the top of their respective professions, and the building of the plant was carried out to a plan with the health, safety, education, sanitation, convenience and enjoyment of life by the miners, as its chief object cost was a very secondary consideration.
Twenty years ago this spot was a wild mountain farm, owned by that famous mountaineer, John W. Wright. His home, a hewn log affair, stood near where the Methodist church has since been erected. For miles in every direction the unbroken forest swept away over hill and down valley, some of which had slept undisturbed since the beginning of time.
The mountaineers, on their seldom made visits to this wild region, would look up at the rugged mountains, like giant sentinels guarding the gates of another world, and wonder, what good could ever come of such a land. At night, the few settlers were lulled to sleep by the hoot owl’s call and awakened in the morning by the yelp of the fox.
Then one day news spread over the hills that Wright had disposed of his lands and that a great town was about to be built by some men from “away off yonder.” Surveying parties were camped on the Kentucky river, and along Elkhorn. Railroads were pushing into the hills from the east and west. Farmers, on their way to mill or meeting, would stop and ask questions of the engineers, learn all they could of the town that “they had heard was going to be” and then hurry home to toll the news to their neighbors, adding to the story until it becomes a fanciful fairy tale.
The roars of explosives soon were heard for many miles, children at first would run screaming to their mother [illegible line] skirts asking to be told what it was they had heard “away over yonder,” while old women smoked their pipes and wondered if “Garfield was coming up the Sandy again.”
Coming into wild, rugged country like the head of Elkhorn, and laying off and building a city was a feat worthy of the greatest engineering skill, and that was the sort employed by the Consolidation Company.
The nearest railroad was still miles away. Everything needed in construction must be freighted across the Cumberlands, over roads almost impassable by wagon. For 12 months preparation for this gigantic plant went on before the actual construction work began. Roads were graded across the mountain by Pound Gap and a lumbering concern was induced to build their narrow gauge railroad from Glomorgan to Rocky Branch, leaving only about five miles that supplies must be transported by wagon freight. The Pound Gap country was a beehive of activity. Freighters were so numerous on the road that it took the best part of a day to make the trip from Jenkins to Rocky Branch and return. Every few yards the driver would be forced to turn out so that another could pass.
Hundreds of carpenters, masons and helpers were at work building houses. The houses they constructed were of a type foreign to the coal fields across the mountains in Virginia. A giant power plant was built, the water of Elkhorn were harnesses to create the power to run the greatest mining plant in the south. The dam built across the stream has formed one of the most beautiful lakes in America, it has been stocked with fish and lined with row boats for the recreation of the coal miners and their families.
Every home was built for convenience and comfort. Sanitation was provided and each house was wired for electricity. Word went out into the mining camps close by in Virginia that the “Jenkins company” would not tolerate kerosene lamps in their houses and required that their employees use electricity for illumination. These “other camps” were forced to remodel their plants in keeping with the pattern on which the great Consolidation plant was built, until today, the old order has been replaced with the new throughout Virginia, West Virginia and Kentucky: thanks to the lead of the Consolidation Coal Company.
Jenkins is well lighted; has an excellent water system; fire department and paved streets in the business section. Many beautiful homes line the handsome drive, skirting the lake. These, unlike the ordinary mining town houses, are set well back from the driveway in park like lawns, well shaded with grand old oaks and other native trees.
Some of the most substantial business buildings to be found in the Cumberland region are here in Jenkins. Among these are the recreation building, housing a drug store, hotel, post office, Western Union office, barber shop, pool room, printing office, and drink stand. The First national Bank building is the most beautiful building in Letcher county; vine-clad with clinging ivy gives it the appearance of having grown there.
The most widely known business institutions in Jenkins are the Consolidation Coal Company store, the First National bank, the Jenkins Steam Laundry, the Modern Pressing Shop, Nick Dann’s Auto Sales and Repair Shop, and the numerous businesses housed under the roof of the mammoth recreation building. The town is on the Kentucky state highway and is served by the C. & O. railroad system from Shelby junction.
Source: Logan (WV) Banner, 2 October 1928.